Subject: RE: [Leica] UV or not UV
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:47:18 -0700

Don,

Water can destroy the coating on a lens if the lens is subjected to it for
an extended period of time. Salt water will accelerate this, but only if
left on the lens or over a period of time.
If you were at the ocean and the lens were sprayed each day, I would say
that in a few months you would see the coating start to change/dissolve.
But if you clean the lens each day, preferably with an alcohol-type cleaner
(Many lens manufacturers use an alcohol based cleaner for the lens
elements.) the alcohol provides the added benefit of absorbing moisture as
well. Hence, the possibility of coating damage is reduced.

OTOH, if you were doing beach photography daily, IMO a UV or warming filter
would provide a barrier to the salt water and also the sand.  I am sure
others may tell you otherwise, but why take the chance?  A filter is cheap
protection, and unless you blow up you prints to ungodly proportions you
will not be able to see any difference.
Those who may refuse to use filters in certain situations, such as daily
beach photgraphy, are either well-off financially or so careful in taking
care of their gear they miss the many photographic opportunities.  The
reason I say this is pre-occupation with equipment care, or anything else
for that matter, will lessen your attention to the reason you are really
there, photography!

Peter K