Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 99 07:03:23 +1000

Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net> wrote:

>[ Nikon Coolpix 950 ]
>At up to a 6x8 print you'd have trouble telling it from the best of 35mm
>cameras. As a scan in the computer it rivals ANY image from a Leica scanned
>with the very best scanner.

No offense to Thomas, but I think he got a little carried away.

1.  Betcha can't shoot a 180-degree diagonal fisheye image with it
    to match the 16mm R fisheye-elmarit.  Now for extra points, shoot
    super-wide into the sun without flaring...

2.  How about macro - can it beat the 100mm R Apo?

;^)

For super-wide or close-up work, the 950 doesn't come close.

So who cares about super-wide?  All the VR photographers!  Also,
as an aside, there are problems at the moment with downloading
images from the 950 onto a mac (you currently have to go via
a PC-CARD reader).  Don't have no such problems scanning in 35mm!

Digital cameras *are* getting better.  But IMO they are still
a long way off for real world commercial work.

Cheers,

Andrew N.
www.nemeng.com