Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:46:07 -0500

Andrew:

Your point is well taken, but you didn't seem to read my whole
message. My point was that the TONALITY is fabulous on the CCD, but
it's still a small image. MY point was if we could only get that CCD
behind a piece of Leica glass.

Also, for the record, the macro capabilities of the 950 are more than
surprising. I'm going to upload an image to
http://members.aol.com/tharrry/trillium.html take a look at it and
get back to me about the macro thing. Remember, this photograph is
reduced from the original TIF and JPEGed down to level 5.

As I said, if your target is a monitor, you can't get much better than this.

Tom

At 7:03 AM +1000 5/19/99, Andrew Nemeth wrote:
>Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net> wrote:
>
>>[ Nikon Coolpix 950 ]
>>At up to a 6x8 print you'd have trouble telling it from the best of 35mm
>>cameras. As a scan in the computer it rivals ANY image from a Leica scanned
>>with the very best scanner.
>
>No offense to Thomas, but I think he got a little carried away.
>
>1.  Betcha can't shoot a 180-degree diagonal fisheye image with it
>    to match the 16mm R fisheye-elmarit.  Now for extra points, shoot
>    super-wide into the sun without flaring...
>
>2.  How about macro - can it beat the 100mm R Apo?
>
>;^)
>
>For super-wide or close-up work, the 950 doesn't come close.
>
>So who cares about super-wide?  All the VR photographers!  Also,
>as an aside, there are problems at the moment with downloading
>images from the 950 onto a mac (you currently have to go via
>a PC-CARD reader).  Don't have no such problems scanning in 35mm!
>
>Digital cameras *are* getting better.  But IMO they are still
>a long way off for real world commercial work.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Andrew N.
>www.nemeng.com

Thomas Kachadurian