Subject: [Leica] First Leica Kit
From: "Brown, Dan" <DBrown@uniden.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:50:57 -0500

Hello all:

I am new to this digest.  I presently shoot with Nikon and Mamiya 7
gear.  Recently, I have been thinking about adding a basic Leica M kit
for times when the virtues of this system would be suitable.  Compact,
quiet, unobtrusive, reliable, etc.  I am interested in "user" gear, not
collectability.  I would probably get a 50mm or 35mm lens.

Two questions (forgive me if they have been hashed and rehashed in the
past).

I noticed that the black finish lenses are lighter and cheaper than the
chrome finish lenses (I guess the price difference disappears on the
used market).  I understand that the black lenses are made from aluminum
and the chrome from brass.  Is the difference significant?  Is one
better than the other?

Assuming I can live without an internal light meter, which Leica M body
represents the best value for a "user" camera.  M3, M4, M6?  Any models
to avoid?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Dan Brown
Fort Worth, Texas