Subject: [Leica] Re: MLU
From: "Brown, Dan" <DBrown@uniden.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:16:27 -0500

Jim Brick Wrote:

In the 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12, 1/15 shutter speed ranges, moving a mirror
and
diaphragm WILL cause unsharp photographs in ANY camera (any camera that
does that). Especially with long lenses. Tripod or not! The longer the
lens, the worse the problem.

MLU is an essential part of professional photography.

To ignore it is un-professional.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ANSWER:

When I get down to these shutter speeds, or anytime I think mirror lock
up is needed, I grab the obvious choice...my rangefinder.

Even still, not all professionals use such slow shutters speeds.
Clearly the F100 is designed for the sports/event/PJ photographer.
There is nothing unprofessional about this design decision not to
include mirror lock-up.  The camera is merely designed for a different
kind of professional.  The F100 lacks mirror lock-up for several good
design reasons.  Not the least of which is the ability to produce a cost
effective and reliable single-pair shutter curtain.  At slow shutter
speeds the advanced Nikon flash can correct the vibration problem for
the uses described above.  Nikon does indeed make cameras with mirror
lock up and mirror prefire for those times when such a feature is
needed.  Just because some professionals need mirror lock up is no
reason to include mirror lock up in every camera.  To follow that line
of reasoning would imply that every professional camera should have
every conceivable feature.  Come to think of it, the F5 has just about
everything, but a range finder;-)

Dan Brown  --  AKA Dan(4)
Fort Worth, Texas
\_  _/