Subject: [Leica] Re: BIG Leica
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 14:43:13 -0400

At 09:58 AM 5/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> After a couple of years of drooling over it, yesterday I purchased a
>
>I own and use a Mamiya 6 (or the Japanese M6) quite regularly.  It is my
>square-format Leica.
>
>The metering pattern varies because it is not TTL.  The SPD is in the
>rangefinder assembly, so it measures light from a fixed area.

From what I can gleen from the marketing literature the 80mm has center
weighted, the wides switch to spot and the tele to full averaging. No
diagrams are provided except for the 80. The lit. says the meter switches
according to the lens bay. Curious no?

>I find it difficult to read the LED shutter speed reading to the left of the
>viewing agrea, especially outdoors.  I would have much preferred a needle.

I noticed this this afternoon. I always prefer needles to lights.

>The rangefinder is trickier to use.  The magnification is low, and it is
>absolutely critical that you align the viewing eye in the centre.  If you
>don't, you will get misalignment of the superimposed images, resulting in
>inaccrate focussing.

I'll watch that too. The 7 II supposedly has improved rangefinder contrast.

>I think Mamiya 7-II is a formidable system for those who are looking for a
>medium format alternative to Leica.

I'm thinking 6x7 or 24x65 Scala. I have to thaw some out.

Ken Wilcox

Ken Wilcox					Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LAW LHSA MEA						          <wilcox@tir.com>