Subject: [Leica] Re: report 70-180 part 2, women lens designers
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:46:57 -0700

Many thanks for the VAE report. I've been using one of these lenses since
it became available. From a users point of view, I find the images from
this lens, stunning. I am very happy to see that your rigorous tests
prove what I have come to believe from ordinary field use. I only use my
R cameras on tripods. So the VAE is right at home.<br>
About women lens designers. I read, a year or so ago, about one of
Schneider's chief lens designers, a woman, who came up through Schneider
from a low level menial job. She was not schooled as an optical engineer,
but learned the trade at Schneider. She is (if I remember correctly)
responsible for the aspheric lenses and the line of HM lenses. My most
prized LF lens is my 120mm Super Symmar HM. Of the loupes that I have,
clearly the best, by a large margin, is the Schneider 6x ASPH.<br>
The 30x40 Cibachromes I've made, from images taken with the 120mm HM
lens, are simply unbelievable. If one did not know better, one would
think they are from 8x10 originals.<br>
Many thanks to the ladies in lens design.<br>
Jim<br>
At 12:10 AM 5/15/99 +0200, you wrote: <br>
The Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R 1:2,8/70-180 is a very good example of the
optical progress of the last ten years and living proof of the
capabilities of the optical team in Solms.&nbsp; Some time ago Leica
stated with some bravado that zoomlenses would never reach the high
level&nbsp; of their prime lenses. At the same time Zeiss was producing
zoomlenses with excellent imagery. In the photographic world men dominate
as well as in the industrial companies, It is fine twist in history that
the VAE is&nbsp; indeed better than most prime lenses which focal length
it covers and has been designed by a female optical designer. (the
Summicron-ASPH 2/35 is also designed by her).</blockquote><br>