Subject: RE: [Leica] Shutter Burn. Need Sunblock?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:28:17 -0700

Hello all,
I have experienced shutter burn first hand.  In the mid-70s, I was actively
using my first camera given to me by my Dad...a Contax D.  Any of you who
are familiar with this camera know that it was the first production SLR ever
made and had a non-returning mirror.  So, when you took a photo, the mirror
would flap up and stay there, leaving the shutter curtain exposed directly
to the lens, just like an M camera.

Over the course of 2 years using this camera almost daily in the
Philippines, I began noticing fogging on my films, in the form of
pinhole-shaped white spots.  My repairman told me to always wind the camera
in bright conditions so as to keep the mirror in front of the shutter
curtain.  He then proceeded to cut up some shutter cloth from a defunct
Minolta SRT-101 and glue peices to my Contax shutter to patch up the
pinholes.  You can still see those patches on the shutter today!

If you're moving around (hiking, for instance), I don't think there's any
risk of shutter burn.  But if you set the camera down while outside in
bright sunlight, it's probably a good idea to put on a lens cap or stick the
camera in a pouch.

I have been meaning to get that Contax fixed for some time now...  I'll bet
it would produce some interesting results with Scala.  Lens is a 2.0/58mm
Zeiss Planar.

- --Jim Laurel