Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Burn. Need Sunblock?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:49:50 -0400

Paul-
Good question, and one I thought about when taking my precious IIIa out in
the sun when I had no cap for my Summar.
I actually took my lens off the camera, took a piece of dark paper, and
using the lens, aperture wide open, like a magnifying glass, tried to burn a
hole in the paper. Didn't happen- couldn't get it to burn a hole in it! Now,
to be honest, I may have done something wrong, but the day was cloudless,
and the spot was as small on the paper as I could make it, and it didn't
burn.
I would say that taking reasonable precautions-not pointing the camera
directly at the sun- you should be able to avoid trouble. I have often
wondered if this was an 'urban legend' as I had never seen a hole burned in
a shutter curtain in all the Leicas and Canons I have had the pleasure to
handle and examine.
Anyone with first hand experience?
Dan