Subject: [Leica] LUG becomes LAG, was : re gang of 5
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:44:11 -0400

Peter,

thanks for answering my post to Donj. I must be less perceptive than you
give me credit for, I would not have imagined these five as co-conspirators
in a gang (see original reply below)

Yo 'gang of five' dudes (or brothers, or homies, whatever), what are your
colours (must be red, I guess), signs, and tags :=)

I've been living in the US for almost 5 years now, and it is a wonderful
country in many respects. Somehow, the LUG, with predominantly US
membership, is starting to display one of the US weaknesses I have noticed
(but please don't turn this into a thread on nationalism, to misquote Bob,
it is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings).

It as all about exercising our 'rights', and forgetting our
'responsibilitites', which are two sides of the same coin.

Brian Reid has a very open policy about subscription to the LUG, for which
Bravo. That policy  gives virtually anybody the right to subscribe.
Unfortunately, from time to time we who do subscribe tend to forget how to
exercise our associated responsibilities.

The fabric of the (increasingly large) LUG seems to me to be more strained
lately than at any stage in the past (I've been on, with short
interruptions, for about 3 years). Civility and respect is increasingly
absent, a need to be seen to be 'right' is increasingly present. Can we
please  commit to better standards of respect, tolerance, decency, and all
the other postive, affirming, things about human communication, instead of
bitching amd moaning destructively at each other, and Leica. And I haven't
even touched on the subject of staying on Leica-topic...

This is the Leica Users Group. Let's keep it that way, and not turn it into
the Leica Abusers Group.

Written in haste, and considerable frustration.

best of light,

Alistair