Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M Box BS!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 15:26:30 -0400

At 12:03 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Mr. Small, to you this may be a "non-starter" but Mr. Laurel's comments in
>response to the issue were of great interest to me since I had been on the
>verge of putting my name on the waiting list for a 90 mm APO-ASPH M.  After
>Mr. Laurel's comments which follow, the new 90 may not be worth the expense
>and wait.  Mr. Laurel wrote:
>
>"The improvement over my current Elmarit 90 is marginal.  I am keeping both
>because I still prefer the Elmarit for travel as it is smaller and uses E46
>filters as do my other travel lenses - the Elmarit 28 and Summilux 35 ASPH.
>Having a single filter size to deal with is very convenient and the flip
>polarizer works with the E46 lenses.  The E55s are too large.
>

>The question started out as to the true country of origin of the lens.
>Neither you nor Mr. Grant shed any light on that question.  Now, others with
>some first hand knowledge have apparently settled the question and that is
>the lens at least has Germany stamped on it.
>
>I am indebted to Mr. Laurel for providing INFORMATION.

There is something in the air, or water, or both this weekend. Yes, Jim
supplied valuable commentary about his opinion of the photographic quality
of the lens - that has NOTHING to do with where it is or is not
manufactured. And the question of place of manufacture is what I believe
Marc Small was so aptly trying to characterize as a "non-starter" - except,
he said, for the historically minded and collectors.