Subject: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M Box BS!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 07:16:51 -0700

DonjR wrote:

>My point was that by mislabeling the boxes suggesting the 90 mm APO-ASPH lens
>is made in Canada while Leica advises the lens is actually made in Germany
>creates more confusion thus making Leica appear its right hand does not know
>what its left hand is doing.>>>>>>>>>

Don,

Why does it do that?  If someone is more concerned about where it was
assembled than using it to make photographs why bother buying it?

How do these folks approach their purchase, "I'd like to know where this
lens was made? Why my goodness it says on the box Made in Canada. On the
lens it says, "Made in Germany." Oh dear me, Leica has screwed-up and shot
themselves in the foot..... I'd put bullshit here, but I don't want to
offend anyone so please read BS!

You know what? If you'er a photographer and want the lens, buy it, use it,
if it doesn't work......take it back! It doesn't matter a hill of beans
where the hell it's made! Put the damn lens on the camera go shoot pictures
and if it does great things, then throw the box away and foreverafter never
look at anything on the lens but the aperture!

In my 40 years of using Leica equipment the first and last thing I'm
interested in is, getting the lens or camera into use and not where the
hell it came from. Heck I was using R4's? I believe for some months before
I realized they were made in Portugal, they worked and that was all that
mattered. And it's exactly same for the 90 asph.

"Some believe Germany makes the most precision products thus a lens made in
Germany would be more desirable,>>>>>>>>

Yeah well you're right, but those who get all excited about the confusion
are usually the twinkie heads that get all crapped out over the lenses and
M4's made in Canada.  The real working users don't worry about things of
that nature as long as the machine works, Period!

>inadvertently giving the impression the lens is not made in Germany, Leica
>has made the lens less desirable.>>>>>

Well like I said it's a mind thing of the twinkie heads!

>I am quite certain Leica lenses made in Canada may be equal to those made in
>Germany.>>>>>>>>

Now don't get me off with this line, "quite certain Leica lenses made in
Canada may be equal"   What the hell is "may be?"   You're damn right the
lenses made in Canada are equal to those made in Germany, it's the
clutzheads who have the "German made phobia" that only Leica equipment
stamped "Made in Germany" is the really true Leica quality.

The Leica standards in Canada were/are exactly the same as those in
Wetzlar/Solms set by "new German-Canadians" who came to Canada from Wetzlar
to train the locals to operate production at Wetzlar standards. And native
born Canadians have a tough assed attitude of being better than the home
office!

<<<<<<However, Leica USA does advise the 90 is a German made lens.If Leica
USA is wrong, it is likely that Leica users would be interested in knowing
where the lens is actually made.>>>>>

Like I said, I don't give a damn where it's made as I'm sure there are many
others who work their equipment instead of reading the boxes and the sides
of the lens! I just want the lens to work the way they say it will! All
else isn't relevant.

<<<<<I did not know Leica was in the habit of stating that a lens is made
in Germany while, in fact, it is actually made in some other country.>>>>>>

Well now holy gee whiz you didn't know that? Why I thought all
manufacturers did that. Gee you got a real sweat on over this, why don't
you switch to one of the other brands or just go out and take pictures.

I realize you didn't start this post but damn you're sure carrying it on as
though Leica have been doing covert operations in duping customers.

<<<<<>Since Leica is gaining the reputation for subcontracting so much of
its work, you may well be correct that the lens is not made in Germany.>>>>>

So? Does that make it illegal to put Made in Germany on the box or lens?
Hell there's hardly an automobile manufacturer in the world using
everything made in the same country, let alone the same assembly plant.
Volvo for example, have a huge assembly plant in eastern Canada, does this
mean these cars are any less than the ones assembled in Sweden?

<<<<<>Maybe Leica will have some statement relative to the origin of the
lens and settle the matter.>>>>>>

Why waste their time? Lately the way it sounds around here nobody would
believe them anyway, whatever they said.

Why this is of such world shattering importance maybe we should get,
"Investigative Reporting!" involved for a major TV program! :) To seek out
the truth! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant