Subject: [Leica] Current 2.8/28 Elmarit Ergonomics
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:06:24 -0700

Hello all,
I just picked up a current 2.8/28 Elmarit and have noticed an annoying
ergonomic issue.  With the lens focused from around 12' to infinity, and
with the rectangular hood mounted, it is difficult to adjust the aperture
without knocking the focus tab.  The aperture ring is very close to the
focus tab, and my fingers are of average size.

I suppose if your mode of operation is to set aperture, then not worry about
it till the light changes as you shoot, change angles, and refocus, but I'm
surprised the wizards at Solms missed this.  The large rectangular lens hood
actually causes some of this problem.  Without the hood in place, it's
pretty easy to get your fingers around the aperture ring without hitting the
focus tab.

There must be many of you out there who have experienced this.  Comments?

I wonder if the 2.8/24 is any better in this respect?  Have any of you tried
working with this lens without the supplemental finder (i.e., just by
squinting around the edges of the 28mm frame in the M6 .72x to gauge
framing?

- --Jim