Subject: RE: [Leica] 90 mm APO-ASPH M
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 13:07:45 -0700

This product is already on the market.  I've had one now for a few weeks.
Mine is stamped "Made in Germany", though.  Although it's a wonderful lens,
producing results even better than my Elmarit (but not by much!), I don't
like the design of the part that touches the rangefinder cam on the body.

On my other lenses, the lens has a sloped internal barrel on which the cam
slides.  So, focusing is very smooth and precise.  The Elmarit 90 is like
this.  The new APO 90, however, has a metal piece that simply "pushes" the
cam as you focus the lens.  It justy doesn't feel as precise to me.  There
seems to be more play as you make tiny corrections in focus, particularly
from infinity down.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the part names.  Please let me know if I
need to clarify.