Subject: re: [Leica] A way of photographing and autofocus.
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 11:01:57 -0500

A very nice post, Jim. A couple of thoughts in reply (and by the way, those
thoughts to which I am not replying are those where I agree with you
completely. Which is the majority of your post).

When using AF, one
is indulging in a particular type of photography. More like "record"
photography than artistic photography. Record the birthday party, record
the wedding, record the basketball player, record the 100m dash, record an
auto race... If one is using AF, one is probably also using AE (auto
exposure). Basically P&S. In this respect, the key elements that the
photographer controls are film type and composition.
<<<<<<<<<<<

Not necessarily. A couple months back I purchased a Nikon F100 (the
handling of it is far, far more agreeable to me than the R8 -- just
personal preferance -- and the handling of the body is every bit as
important to me as the quality of the lenses). I shoot with it completely
manually. I set exposure manually. I set focus manually. I use it much as
you describe use of your cameras. But having electronic focus confirmation
(addressed later in your post) in five easily-selected locations I have
found a significant convenience. Likewise having five locations of tight
spot meters. And I find myself using bracketing more than I expected I
would. In short, with AF comes other conveniences that make, for some
(many?) of us, a camera body even more useful even with manual photography.

Can you
envision Tina using an AF Leica? Not likely.
<<<<<<<<<<

Actually, knowing that she has used and still owns an AF Minolta (Photo
Techniques -- perhaps under its previous name -- featured an exceptional
portfolio of Tina's work, all shot with a Maxxum several years back), yes,
I can envision this.

What
percentage of the existing customer base would indulge? What percentage of
new camera buyers would be swayed away from Canon/Nikon/Minolta/Pentax?
Just where is the market for an AF Leica?
<<<<<<<<<<

The market would be photographers who want the optically best lenses to use
with all the modern SLR conveniences, regardless of cost. Were such a Leica
SLR body available, in a form I found agreeable, I would certainly consider
trading in my Nikon system and buying into it. I suspect I'm not alone.

I personally believe that the fast, do everything, AF market is already
mature and saturated. And that Leica would be foolish to spend it's funds
trying to break in.

I disagree. My F100 was purchased less than two months after their first US
availability. Its serial number, assuming I'm interpreting it correctly,
suggests that Nikon had already manufactured over 18,000 of these bodies. A
recent post, from a visitor to Solms, indicated that Leica sold around 2000
R8 bodies in a year. One could reasonably argue I'm comparing apples to
oranges here. But, if these figures are indeed correct, I would argue that
these numbers indicate a much larger potential market for an AF Leica SLR
than for Leica's current SLR offering.

Larry