Subject: RE: [Leica] A way of photographing and autofocus.
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:00:05 -0700

Well said, Jim.  I agree that it would be folly for Leica to produce an AF
system simply for the sake of it.  There would have to be some very unique
design features to sway existing users.  AF assist would indeed be helpful,
particularly with short lenses on the R cameras.  I must admit that since
using the M6s over the last couple or years, my willingness to tolerate
manually focusing wide angle lenses on an SLR is limited.

Your question "where is the market?" is spot on.  Even if Leica produced a
contemporary AF system, there's just no way they would be able to achieve
the market penetration of the major Japanese manufacturers without losing
some of thier identity.  Going mainstream would mean competing head-on with
CanNikMinTax on price and I just don't see that happening.  That market
demands huge R&D, rapid development cycles, frequent model updates, and
massive advertising campaigns.  Like any small company, Leica is probably
better off working thier high-end niche.  Along with Contax, they pretty
much own it.

AF lenses will necessarily mean lighter construction and I can't see them
alienating existing customers.  Leica gear is so expensive, most people
can't afford to just start over.  Some kind of AF body ala Contax AX seems
more likely.

For some jobs, though, you can't beat a fast AF system.  Next week, I'm
doing a story for MSNBC on white water rafting, and I'll be shooting on the
boat with an EOS1 + 17-35 in an EWA bag with alot of fill flash.  From the
shore, the EOS will be ideal for action shots with the 300/2.8, predictive
AF, and a 5fps motor.  My Leica gear would be totally out of place here.
Does the R8 motor even exist yet?

Cheers,
- --Jim Laurel

P.S. It's nice to be back on the LUG and seeing some of the familiar names
still around!