Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica R9 err...Minolta 9 ;-) OFF TOPIC
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 07:56:56 +0200

This R9 thing is just yet another rumour, up to now. Funny how these things
build up from a casual, probably tongue in cheek, statement from an obscure
Kansas dealer who, in no way, has access to such strategic items of
information. Blindly and repeatedly relayed on the Net, this suddenly
becomes some kind of 'information'

The distribution networks do not get informed about such things till the
very last minute. So, unless Leica is planning that major launch in the
coming 3 weeks, there is no way they are going to sabotage further their R8
sales by demotivating their resellers from this product and provoking a
suspension of buying decisions from their user base. Especially on the eve
of the pre-summer holydays buying period.

Till reliable info gets posted, this Minolta R9 agitation ought to be
considered as plain noise.

That should not forbid the intellectual exercise of examining what the
potential consequences of this unlikely product would be:

The Minolta 9 implies AF motor in body and a very particular
electro-mechanical management of the iris. So, this also implies a totally
different design for the lenses (no aperture ring, undampened and
lightweight barrels managed through an AF shaft, etc) and probable
fundamental incompatibilities with the current R system. A modification of
the Minolta bayonet to make it physically compatible with the R is easy (if
the distance to film is the same for Minolta AF and Leica R. Is it ?), but
one would have to work at real aperture with current R lenses, and one
would loose most of the automation advantages of the Minolta 9. To get
around this, the fantasized Minolta/Leica partnership would have to
redesign the Minolta 9 system in order to reintroduce complex R-compatible
mechanical links between lens and body, and insure management of those
links by a redesigned electronic system. This, added to the redesign and
manufacturing of a complete range of backward incompatible Leica AF lenses,
seems to me to be way above the  financial and marketing capabilities of
Minolta and/or Leica.

An eventual AF R9 would have to be based on a Leica design, considered as a
new development of the R architecture, insuring fundamantal compatibility
with the current R line of lenses (all but AF for example). Any other
choice would be a catastrophy for current R users, and would alienate most
of them in the future.

That camera could borrow 'missing' elements from ANY current Japanese
manufacturer or other third parties for economies of scale in the
development effort (AF sensors and electronics, body motors, eventual lens
motors, etc). The manufacturing of the body could also easily be outsourced
to any of them, if ever the quantities are worthwhile for the retooling of
production chains. If Leica chooses not to go the Contax AX way, the lenses
would have to be fundamentally redesigned, and would have to use much
lighter materials than the current line. Those lenses would therefore have
to be manufactured elsewhere as well, with a deal à la Zeiss/Kyocera.

All in all, such an initiative would mean a fundamental change of policy
for Leica, but could be successful, if the user base is ready for a
complete range of polycarbonate Leica R lenses made somewhere in Asia. Is
it ?

Another option would be for a Japanese manufacturer to propose a
'super-pro' line of lenses, badged Leica and based on Leica optical designs
and specifications, then sold at a premium price (like the Yashica + Zeiss
lines of Y/C equipment). Leica would cash on the licences.

A third way would be for Leica to follow the Angenieux path of the Eighties
with a line of multi-platform lenses, manufactured by a third party
according to Leica designs and specifications. The cognoscenti's Sigma.

The two latter options would not necessarily prevent the current R
architecture from living its peaceful life in its marginal niche, to the
great satisfaction of the current and future fans of high-end luxurious
craftsmanship...

Simply borrowing the Minolta 9, as it is, as basis of a R9 project, would
be suicidal.

Alan