Subject: RE: [Leica] AF, a FAD? Jeeze...It's not that hard...
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:58:10 -0700

>Diatribe Dan states wrote: <edited>
>It's a dangerous crutch.  Yank that safety net from most modern snap
>shooters and they are like beached whales.
>
>Additionally, the isolation from effort that automation gives puts a
blanket
>of ignorance over the process of photograpy.
>
>Many modern users don't seem to want to take the time or effort needed to
>master their craft.  It is to their own disadvantage.
>
>I do not recognize an upturn in the quality or level of meaning of
>photography in general since the advent of full automation.  Indeed the
>opposite seems to be the case.  Once any snapshooter can produce results
>that are at least 'technically' proficient you put the future  of
>photography in the hands of people who's motives are less art and more
>profit.
>
>Diatribe over... Dan

Nonsense, if the resulting photograph is excellent no one cares if it were
artistically created with a manual settings camera, or done via an AF SLR,
or for that matter a P&S.

As to labeling those that use technology "beached whales out of a safety
net" that is a large assumption on your part.  I hope it makes you feel
better than you have justified your MF dinosaur.  Should I assume from your
comment that the thousands of photojournalists and many Nat Geo photogs that
use AF SLRs are simply poor fools and lousy photographers?  However,
according to your logic if they were using a Leica MF camera they would be
good photographers, correct?  Interesting.  BTW, do you use drive a car or
continue to ignore technology and use a horse and buggy?

Peter K