Subject: Re: [Leica] AF, a FAD? Jeeze...It's not that hard...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 14:15:40 -0500

At 10:52 AM 5/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
>We look past the reality that the concept of  PHOTOGRAPHY IS SIMPLE.

It most certainly is not. Photography on the hack level might be easy, but
there isn't a camera that can make perfect exposures in any possible
situation. So someone who wants to get beyond the snapshot (in the simple
meaning of the term, not the genre that the art world has conjured up) has
to work at it. They have to understand how light/film/processing works to
progress to any level of competence. They also need to have a vision of
something to say with their photography.

Knowing how to get a good exposure and focus the camera is like buying
canvas, brushes and paint. Unless you have the talent and knowledge and
practice to actually apply the paint to the canvas in some non-random
manner, it means nothing.

Unless the art critics decide to make you their darling for some random
purpose, of course.

;-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.