Subject: [Leica] Capturing the unexpected
From: "4Season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 22:45:46 -0600

I'd like to see online LUG photos which show exotic (as well as everyday)
places and things in unexpected ways! Don't be shy-share an URL or three
with us :-)

Creatively speaking, this weekend was, for me, not much to get excited
about, though the desire to do *something* photographic got me out of bed at
5 AM both days. This morning, I took a half-hour hike to the Flatirons,
hoping to get some strong directional morning light on the granite faces,
and maybe even some ground fog. No such luck! The skies remained mostly
leaden and drizzly, and without the strong sunlight, the mountains remained
4 stops below the sky's brightness. I ended up being more interested, not in
photographing the mountains, but of the surrounding meadow, which has been
through a controlled burn lately, and has many bright green blades of grass
peeking up from a singed backdrop. Wished I had gotten one of those
"springtime" filters, also known as a yellow-green. Tried, but simply could
not get one particular shot to work well: That of a number of boulders in
the meadow, leading one's eye from the extreme foreground, to a distant
hill--too much dead space in the mid-ground, and all that lowering the
camera practically into the mud did was to lose the nice arrangement of
boulders. Tricky shot--I will have to figure out if a different lens or view
camera movement might do it.

Jeff