Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality MF system ?
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:04:42 -0400

As a long-time Leica user and the new (and happy) owner of a used Bronica
GS-1 system, I can immediately see that the GS-1optics are closer to "wire
sharp" (is this a variation on the much-argued "tack sharp" status
attributed to some Leicas glass?).

Over the past two weekends I have generally been printing from TMX
negatives generated by three Leica lenses (Tri-Elmar, 90 Tele-Elmarit
[skinny], and 21 S/A 3.4) and three GS-1 lenses (65, 100, and 150). At
8x10, my largest tray size, I've gone to a very soft MG filter to offset
the stunningly crisp edges on the 6x7 GS-1 images where I'm looking for
something a bit smoother, while the Leica images respond well in the middle
of the MG range.

Obviously there is a major difference between the two formats in the
relative degree of magnification, but I don't think this is simply a matter
of enlargement -- the 6x4.5 GS-1 negatives seem every bit as "edgy" as the
6x7s. I'm going to have to learn how to use the Bronica glass differently.

BTW, the prices on the Hassy gear that I saw were running ahead of those
for Bronica gear in comparable condition.///Dick Baznik