Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar use
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 08:39:44 -0400

Jem:

I've been using a Tri-Elmar for about nine months and like it very much. It
took a couple of months to get accustomed to the mechanics of the device
(the focal-length adjustment is where one instinctively expects the
focusing ring to be, and the focal-length setting must be clicked precisely
into one of the three detents or the lens will not focus properly), but I'm
a three-rolls-a-week shooter, not a pro. The other limitation is its
maximum aperture of 4.0. And then there is the price.

The lens matches the M6 body wonderfully, though I also use it on my M3 as
well in the 35 and 50 focal lengths (yes, the full glass of the M3 finder
approximates the 35mm vield of view). Normally I carry a 90 Tele-Elmarit
(skinny) on the second body.

Image quality seems excellent -- easily better than my pre-Asph 35
Summilux. Most of my shooting is B&W, using TMX, TMY, and Delta 100. No
flare, good contrast, great shadow detail.

My read of the earlier post about a returned T/E was that the lens was not
functioning properly, not that it was a bad design, but the message wasn't
entirely clear.///Dick Baznik