Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality Control
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:42:06 PDT

Too small, and too picky.  We are just like the people who buy a
Mercedes or Lexus, and then have a coronary over a buzz or a squeek
that only a dog can hear.  When you spen a S--- load of money on
something you tend to expect too much.

Anyone who monitors the Contax G user group can verify that Leica
cameras are still far more reliable and better designed than the vast
majority of what else is out there. You think you have problems, try
buying a camera that needs to go back to the factory for adjustments
whenever you buy a 90mm lens!

Nikon, Canon and the many other photo equipment mass marketers have
the advantage of low price!  When one breaks you don't feel like a
stooge for buying it cause hey, you only paid 400.00 for the whole
damn thing.  If you stuck a 3000 price tag on an N90 you would hear a
lot of bitchin about those things too.

Actually, cheap stuff really lowers your standards, probably in a good
way!  I hardly notice the specks of crud in the poorly sealed
pentaprism of my FE2, but put them in an R8 and they'll seem like
boulders!  Any Sigma user can tell you they are thrilled when the lens
doesnt fall off the camera, but we are miffed when the focus ring is
not as nicely textured as the one from our 1936 screw mount!

Consumers have grown to expect zero maintenance products, and the
price has been the souless electronic junk that is now a part of all
of our lives.  Leica cameras are one of the few things left on earth
that still seem to be built by humans, for humans.  The price to pay
may be occasional preventative maintenance or adjustments.

I'll pay it.

Thanks for listening to my rant.  (Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my
closeup)

Dan

>We seem to be expending a tremendous amount of energy discussing this
>topic.  Over the past four years, it seems this has been a constant
10%
>posting topic.
>
>Folks, if you are unhappy with Leica quality, then you have two
choices,
>and two choices only:
>
>a)  Buy LOTS of Leica stock.  Own the company, and then YOU can tell
them
>what to do.
>
>b)  Sell all your Leica gear and invest in some other system.
>
>Simply bitching about it neither accomplishes much nor, frankly,
makes the
>various bitchers sound very nice -- folks who are probably quite
pleasant
>in person come across as negative, whingeing carpers without a virtue
>their name.
>
>Leica has had quality control problems, as has EVERY manufacturing
concern
>across history.  The management of Leica has a legal duty to maximize
>profits, so they are attempting their best to do so while still
marketing a
>fine product.  Obviously, if the QC/QM situation gets out of hand,
the
>reputation will suffer and so will sales, and management will have to
adopt
>a different tack.  But, for right now, they seem to be doing just
fine.

>The membership of the LUG is a minuscule percentage of Leica users --
there
>are, for instance, only TWO Lug members living in Western Virginia,
though
>I know several dozen Leica users in the same geographic area.  Our
>experience is not necessarily that of the general public.  And we
have
>many, many more lurkers than participants:  a proper survey would
have to
>assess ALL of the membership.
>
>(Suggestion to DonJ:  instead of carp, carp, carp, moan, piss, and
bitch:
>do a WHO LEICA-USERS and WHO LEICA-USERS-DIGEST, get a complete list
of our
>members, then survey ALL the membership by PRIVATE E-MAIL.  Ask every
one
>whether they have purchased a new Leica item within the past five
years.
>KEEP STATISTICS HERE:  evaluate how many respond (5%?  10%?  50%?).
Then,
>ask this select number if they have had any quality complaints, and,
again,
>evaluate in terms of response -- probably, 25% of the LUG will answer
your
>first private query, and 50% of those will answer the second, giving
>statistically meaningless sample group of some 100 folks or so.  But,
then,
>give us these answers on the LUG, just to see.  You will find that
those
>who are happy will probably not respond, those who are aggrieved will
>complain.)
>
>I have purchased a slew of new Leica gear in the past five years.
None of