Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 FLASH TRIGGERING, pressure plates, dark finders
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:02:57 -0300

To all who have asked about the flash firing when the shutter is wound and
the questions below, these are problems that require a repair.  Yesterday I
was lucky enough to have a repair manual for the army issue M2 arrive.  It
is for the K-15(4) kit which inluded an M2, 35mm Summicron, DR 50mm
Summicron, and 135mm Elamrit. I dont't have this kit, but I thought the
manual would be useful.

When I looked up the symtoms described it said the following may need to be
done:

Shorted electronic flash terminal-		repair, replace

electronic flash socket lead ground-	replace insulated wire

Grounded long contact spring-		replace insulating plates and shield

There were a few more suggestions all centered around faulty wiring or
springs misplaced.

BTW under Scratches on film back it suggests there is foreign matter on
pressure plate and if this is not the problem, replace the pressure plate.

The repair for viewfinder dark except for rangefinder images said the beam
splitter prism is separated and to replace range-viewfinder assembly
including roller arm.  Another expensive repair.

What this repair manual helps me understand is that the Leica rangefinder
is a complex machine that require a lot of specialized tools to repair and
adjust.  These things are best left to the experts that have the tools.

Regards,

Robert