Subject: [Leica] Re: Macro work
From: "Eno o/c Del" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:58:32 -0400

In LUG Vol. 8 #33:
> I would like to add macro capability to my R system but I don't think
> I will be doing it enough to justify the expense of the 100/2.8 APO
> Macro lens.  I have a 90/2.8 Elmarit-R (final version) and I'd like
> some recommendations on what accessories to use.  I'm looking at the
> ELPRO and Macro-Adapter-R.  Any one with experience in this area?
As was stated, macro stuff is addicting.  At one point I came to the
decision that
the world "out there" was monotonous compared to what could be explored and
created at the microcosmic level.
And there is some truth to that of course.
I have uses the 100/2.8 APO many times.  It is ...very nice.  I do believe
that the essential benefits of this lens lie in its uniform sharpness and
excellent optical performance which is there at f/2.8 and f/22.  Great lens.
When 'macro' comes to mind, so does tripod.  I hate tripods.  They are a
pain in the ass and can be very frustrating - I keep my M far away...   I
did much macro work with R7 60/2.8 Macro, and have had excellent results.
It's also a cheap lens (-er).  I have so many great macro shots, but they
are all tainted with a degree of blur that is unwanted.
The DOF is exacting, so I was shooting everything at around f/16 just to get
the other half of the lady bug in focus (actually I've never shot a lady
bug, but I would.)
Tripod and consistent positive results are compliments of each other, at
least as a general rule.  Of course it's up to the variables of light and
how close in you want to get.  I rarely use my 60/2.8, but it's there and
serves its purpose in this respect well enough.