Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: "4Season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:28:46 -0600

Actually, this is not a bug, it's a built-in graduated neutral-density
filter of sorts :-)

So *that's* why 1/8000th sec shutter speeds did not become common years
ago--I would've thought that you could get any arbitrarily high figure
simply by reducing the minimum gap between the shutter curtains, but I guess
that'd magnify the effects of any speed variances as the curtains traversed
the gate. Tell me, at 1/500th sec and below, does the measured error become
such a small percentage of the total exposure as to be negligible?

Me, I'm not going to worry too much--my M6 is certainly not as
pinpoint-precise as the F4 I used to own (guess that some progress does
occur in 25+ years) but it does get the job done, and this old
spring-powered design sure is nice and small. If possible, I'll have the
finder framing accuracy and meter tweaked a bit when it goes in for service,
as mine seems a bit casual in both regards. In my area, John Van Stelton's
running a 4-week backlog, so either I'm going to want a 2nd M body, else
will have to reserve my place in line, and only bring in the camera when
actually required to do so.

Jeff