Subject: Re: [Leica] 75'lux focusing
From: "Moore,Andrew" <moorea@andovercontrols.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:06:57 -0400

> At f1.4-2, I make errors (both forward and backward) in >70% of the
> shots.

Have you verified that the camera's rangefinder is properly aligned?
I had a similar problem with that lens and it turned out to be the
camera's rangefinder.  I didn't realize this until I set the camera up
on a tripod, drew an "X" target on a flat surface, and CAREFULLY
focused on the target (at the mimimum focusing distance), and shot one
frame at f/1.4 and another at f/11.  The large depth of field at f/11
gave me a sharp "reference" image of the target, to compare to the one
that I thought should be properly focused at f/1.4.  I also shot two
more frames at f/1.4, intentionally focusing just forward and just
behind the target.

I could see the difference right on the negatives with very little
magnification.  Of course at f/1.4 the image will look a little less
defined, but it was clear to me that it was also simply out of focus.
One of the images that I focused just behind the target ended up
appearing in focus on the negative (matching the f/11 exposure).

And by the way, that was a NEW body.  Listening, Leica? :)

- --Andrew