Subject: Re: [Leica] Rom lenses & the 934 Depth of Focus Patent
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:13:30 -0300

I asked this question to Leica Canada's service department and they said
that other than transmitting the zoom setting, they electronically transmit
the aperture position rather than the mechanical linkage used on non ROM
lenses.  This is supposed to be accurate to 1/6 of a stop.  He did not say
how accurate the old system was.  I was questioning on converting a 180mm
to ROM and he thought it was not a very productive conversion on non zoom
telephoto lenses.

Regards,

Robert

At 02:00 PM 4/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>David wrote:
>I couldn't find anything on the Leica website explaining what the ROM
>lenses are for the R system. Can anyone tell me the difference, and how
>one can tell if a lens is ROM or not? I understand it's for the R system
>but not more than that.
>
>Bob's reply:
>I have often wondered about this myself.  It is easy to tell, since it is
apparent from the electrical contacts on the back of the lens.  The bigger
question is what does it do?

>It obviously sends information about the lens focal length to the camera,
because when I zoom a ROM lens, the correct focal length gets passed up to
a Metz flash.  With a non-ROM lens, I have to set the focal length myself
on the flash.  Other than that, a non-ROM lens seems to work just fine on
the R8, and a ROM lens works fine on my R4sP.