Subject: [Leica] 180 APO Test shots
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:59:52 -0300

My 180 APO Summicron arrived today. I couldn't wait to give it a try so I
loaded it and R8 into the truck and took a drive around town to try and put
it through its paces.  One thing I learned really quick is that it's heavy.
 The speed comes at a price of increased weight.  I used it on a monopod as
I wanted the pictures to be as sharp as possible without the use of a tripod.

I took a drive down to the container piers and the Railroad station and
caught sight of one of the  passenger trains.  It is a CNR Via-Rail train
which probably was due to depart at 4:00pm, as I took the picture around
3:30pm and it was running and ready to go.  I imagine it goes to Montreal
or Toronto from here ( Halifax ) stopping a few spots along the way.

What the fast aperture of the 180 allowed was to set the train apart from
its surrounding by utilizing the narrow depth of field.  This is most
obvious in the tighter shot viarail.jpg.  Also notice the heat haze coming
off the top of the Locomotive.  Both pictures were on AGFA RSX 100 and shot
at F2 and 1/4000th.

For the Science Fiction buffs on the list, The LEX series is filmed in
Halifax at the Electropolis Studios which are located in the concrete
building with the power lines on the right side of the viarail-2.jpg
picture.  This building was an old power plant which was converted to a
studio when it was realized the building was made with such thick
reinforced concrete walls that it was not economically feasable to tear it
down.

The pictures are on this page:

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Misc.htm

Regards,