Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:44:46 -0300

Gareth:

Why would an Australian Leica user send this complaint to Leica USA?  Do
they own the Distributor in Australia?  Wouldn't the problem best be
handled by the dealer you bought it from?

For my two cents worth, all cameras leave fine scratches on the backs of
negatives.  If they don't, they get them in handling.  Your M6 may be
putting more than the usual there, but I think the problem really is with
the light source of your Nikon scanner.  Nikon scanners use LEDs which are
a very directional light source that will show up any flaw in a negative.
This is well documented and I think you may have even posted that Nikon has
an article on their web site about it.

Another thing I have noticed is that colour negatives scratch on the
backing much easier than slides or B&W.  I also think some brands are worse
than others.  I think there was a problem with Fuji film in regards to
backing scratches and their slide film.  This problem I think was also
corrected.

Regards,

Robert