Subject: Re: [Leica] 100 APO
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:50:24 -0500

>snip As Nikon didn't have anything that
>> could touch the 100 APO (and still don't) I snip
>> Bill Rosauer
>So you are saying the famous and awesome 105 2.8 macro is compleatly
>outclassed by Leica?
>I thought this was one case where Nikon was not far behind. I thought
>there were even obscure aspects of the Nikon glass that was superior. A
>vested interest is apparent here. I have the non AF version.
>Mark Rabiner

Mark,
The famous and awesome 105 2.8 Macro is outclassed by the Leica. Not by
much though. At around 5.6 the Nikon gets really really good. The Leica
is really good from 2.8 and GREAT when stopped down a bit.

I've extensively tested the Nikon AF version 2.8 macro, the manual 105
2.5 and 1.8 lenses (and lots of others) with my digital scanning camera
and with film. I could only test the Leica with film since it won't fit
on the scanner. I've yet to find a Nikon lens thats real good until its
stopped down quite a bit. If you mostly use the Nikon lens stopped down
you'll be happy. Its the wide open aperture performance that Nikon
stumbles with.

I use the Nikon 105 2.8 AFD (and the 60 2.8 macro) everyday. I nearly
always use them at f 8 or 11 and they perform very well.

As for other Nikon lenses, well I've sold lots of mine and I'm replacing
that part of my toolbox with Leica. Leica makes lens that perform right
from the get-go.

No surprise to the members of this list!

The amazing thing to me is that Nikon does not make a lense that can
compete with Leica glass. I guess they wrote off that part of the market.

Henry