Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film & R8
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 23:35:32 -0500

snip
>this thread on polishing, rubbing down, sanding and or whatever of the film
>pressure plate in an M6 is sheer madness by anyone who isn't a trained
>technician. Would anyone of them having scratches on their eye glasses
>start grinding or polishing similarly? Not bloody likely!
> Ted Grant
snip

My M6 is off in New Jersey, I'm letting Leica fix it. I'll report when
its back.  I wonder if they'll tell the cause of the scratched film?

The responses have been interesting and have provoked me to some
additional thought on the subject. I've wondered about why the pressure
plate is not covered with some modern plastic like teflon or something. I
admit to knowing almost nothing about camera design, just seems like a
good idea???

As to the madness, well some of these guys may have a clue and some may
not. My guess about one of the sources is that given the nature of the
mechanical devices he makes he could probably make an M6 from scratch!

The R8 thread:

>I'd like to see Leica add the following features to the next R8
>upgrade: minimally, 1.) a built in motor drive  2.) auto-
>bracketing. 3.) Some type of focus confirmation!

>I just could not wait for Leica any longer for these features; thus,
>I just purchased a Nikon F100 with several Nikkor lenses.

>I still have a Leica R8 & R7 with four Leica lenses; however, I did
>trade off some of my Leica gear to get into Nikon gear.

There are some defectors to Nikon it seems. I have an F5 and I think its
the greatest except that the lenses are not GREAT, mostly just good, some
barely OK. And the lens is pretty important, best as I remember.

The ultimate SLR 35 could be a Nikon F5 or F100 with Leica lenses. Not
even autofocus, just GREAT glass. Right now for me the ultimate SLR is an
F5 used with an M6:):)

Listening to R8 owners "improve" their cameras is enlightening. I'd sure
love to give an R8 an extended visit. I used an R8 at a Leica event and
liked it. The lenses I tried were the 35 f2, 50 f2, 100 Macro f2.8 and
180 f2.8. All were very impressive. The 100 just knocked my socks off!
Not much testing, but enough for a small taste. I am still tempted.
Though the price of a big Leica zoom is intimidating. (worse than that
really)

May I hear from anyone who has recently made the switch from Nikon or
Canon to an R8? Or anyone who uses both?

Henry Ambrose

You'll pay to know what you think.