Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: metering middle grey
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:44:10 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
> >My Minolta spot meter isn't supposed to focus that close if you can
> >believe that because I'm not sure I do. I'll do the palm as a zone vi
> >thing or:
> >Aim at the darkest texture zone iii
> >Aim at the lightest texture zone viii>>>>>>>>>
>
> Howdy folks,
>
> I'm allowed one post for this month!!! :)
>
> Man this grey? / gray? cardboard thing appears to be a terrible waste of
> picture taking time, can't imagine how you lads and lasses go on about
> something like this when you use Leica (of course other cameras are OK
> to):)
>
> Everytime someone gets on about metering, here, there, everywhere, zone
> this, that, white & black, grey deep or light, then start comparing
> readings. Whew what a terrible waste of time.
>
> Meter reading? I just  smile to myself, go take pictures while you screw
> around checking 42 different readings. Then zoning out each meter one unto
> the other.
snip

Ironically I'm not the bad guy in this mind warp. I trust my Leica meter
implicitly on my M6.
But there are times when I go out with a bunch of cameras of different
formats of working modes. My Rollei 35 on my belt, my Rollei tlr on my
tripod, my 4 by 5 Cambo in my trunk, my Leica around my neck AND MY
SPOTMETER ON MY BELT.
I take a  spot reading or readings and use whatever camera's feel right
for the shot.
I don't use grey cards and I don't often take incident readings.
There are a million zone systems and half of them are working systems
people have with out the word zone attactaced to them.
I was get it however you can to each his/her own all's well that ends
well three cheers for Gossen, Leica and all those cute little companies
who make our photo lives so convienant.
Don't blame me for the grey card thing and don't blame Bob Shell either.
It's Kodak that came out with a grey card that you have to open up a
half stop for and forgot to tell us after the eighties and the card is
only useful in the studio if there.
Happy Days! I'm going to the movies.
Mark Rabiner