Subject: Re: [Leica] which M for me
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:49:29 -0600

> Could any of you out there tell me if I would be less pleased with a dual
> stroke M3 as opposed to the single stroke model.  I don't think the earlier
> style would bother me.  Do any of you have a reason as to why I wouldn't
> like an earlier one?  Any one I get will get the overhaul treatment.
>
> gck

Gary,

I have a M3 that has been to Leitz twice for malfunctions over 20 years.
Both times for rewind jams. The first time the overhaul was major and I
decided to have it coverted to single stroke, had PC contacts added (the
adapter were a real pain with glasses). The last time I had a new rubber
rim added to the view finder, again to protect my glasses. I use mostly
a 50mm Summilux and now have a 35mm Sumicron with the goggles. I really
like the larger 50mm frame. Goggles detract some from the classic look
but I really like the choice.

The DS was buttery smooth but at the time I had several Nikon bodies and
I did have occasional difficulty shifting between the two. Problem was
more in going back to the Nikon and trying to throw in a second stroke
on a cocked shutter. My klutz factor here. The SS is still butter smooth
but I have to admit that there was a certain asthetic in using the
origial.

Regards,

Roger