Subject: Re: [Leica] which SLR for me?--was which M for me?
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:41:29 -0800

Mary,

the R7 is a great camera. The meter is very accurate and quite sensitive,
and you can set your film speed up to 12800 ASA. You can also set the
shutter speeds manually in half stop increments. I think the viewfinder
layout/display is best of R's (except maybe R8, but I don't like LCD
displays anyway) and it can be illuminated in dark. The mirror lockup is a
bit of a hassle (you need an extra cable release) and a multiple
exposure/rewind lever is on the bottom so when the camera is on the tripod,
it might be hard to reach (I know, both are improved on the R8).

It balances well with the 50/2R (and I imagine with the 60/2.8R too) and
pretty good with the 180/2.8R (my reason for buying the R7).

BTW, I bought all my R gear used and never had any problems whereas my new
M6 had to be sent in to repair the "swing door".

Hope this helps.

Jiri Dvorak