Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica & Contax test
From: "Aubin, Norman C" <Norman.Aubin@Europe.Boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:44:14 +0100

Greetings from the shadows!

I've been watching the debate about the G1 & 2 vs Leica M, and thought I'd
through
in my $.02 worth.  This discussion seems to revolve around the differences
between being prejudiced versus discriminating.  As you all probably are
aware,
prejudice is just that, to pre-judge, or judge without knowledge, whereas
discrimination
is to use ones knowledge to make choices.

I know from experience that I don't like raw fish, and can reasonably
conclude that any
restaurant that serves such will not get my business.  That's just being
discriminating.
I don't know that I wouldn't get lots of use out of an autofocus camera, but
I feel
that it somehow upsets my esthetic.  That's prejudice, and I probably owe it
myself to try one someday, to at least make an informed decision.  For now I
will
live with the honest acknowledgment that I am prejudiced against them.

It seems to me that Eric has taken a position based on his knowledge, his
needs and his experience to discriminate against a camera that does not suit
him.
That is a defensible position, it stands because he is basing it on his
needs and uses
for a camera, after assessing the specifications and capabilities of this
camera.
Arguing further about it would be pointless.

However, I must take exception to Eric's point about Harley Davidsons!

I too rode big Japanese and German motorcycles for a long time, and
pooh-poohed
the HD, until I tried one.  I found that, idiosynchracies aside, or rather
because of,
I liked it to the point that I would never go back to anything else.

In very many ways the HD is like a Leica M; its antiquated, its 'retro',
it's as simple
and as reliable as a stone hammer.  Yes, its not as fast as the H or Y or S
brands,
nor is a Leica M as auto-everything as is a C or N brand.  But for what it
is intended
to do, it does it with the same aplomb as a Leica M.

Perhaps its because it is idiosyncratic, but rather good at what it does, I
got out of
the R series and went to the M.  It was perverse enough to amuse my sense of
humor,
but much more pragmatically, it also could do exactly what I want a small
camera to do,
just as my HD did what I wanted a bike to do. I can also add that contrary
to the appearance,
the HD really has a solid heart beat, rather than a 'Jack Hammer' ride, it
is more relaxing at
the end of a long day, and my wife finds the rumble to be much more
'stimulating' than
the buzz of a ''500 lb radioactive bumble bee''!

Reliability is about the same, there are many 40 and 50 year old HDs around,
parts
are available, they look pretty much alike from then till now, people still
stop and
come up to you to talk about when they had one, resale value is pretty high,
sometimes exceeding original sticker price, people collect them, and people
use
them to race professionally.  In fact, if I hadn't said HD in the first
sentence you couldn't
really tell if I was talking about Leica M's or HD's!

I should point out that I do my serious driving in a car, and my serious
photography
with a 4x5, but my pleasure driving and my pleasure photography with a HD
and
M6, usually combining both if I can.  I can afford to have gear for play
that is
perverse and fun; if I had to make my living with these tools my criteria
would
be significantly different, and my reasons for discriminating between one
thing and
another likewise different.  The conclusion might be the same, I don't know,
it doesn't
matter!

So, you 'all go on and debate the Leica M (or R) versus any other camera,
and I'll
continue to watch and learn from the points you make.  Its been informative
to learn
how you working Pro's think about these things.  However, I think I'll keep
using my
M6 just because I like it, and ride HDs 'cause I like them.

Back to the shadows!

Norm Aubin

p.s. - Eric, one of these days soon I'll be returning to the Puget Sound
area, since my
temporary assignment to England is almost over.  I'd like to buy you a beer
someday,
you're writings have been most entertaining, enlightening, and amusing!
Likewise to
other Puget Sounders . . .lets get together over a beer and plan a picture
taking day
this spring . . .maybe by Memorial day???

Hey . .would a Seattle centered LUG be a SLUG?? How appropriate, what with
that
being the state mascot and all . . . .

> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:  Leica & Contax test
>
> At 12:20 AM 3/30/99 +0200, you wrote:
<SNIP>
> Why would I feel obligated to give a camera a chance when:
<SNIP>