Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:12:05 -0800

snip
> It's been a beautiful day here in Boston.  I was walking down the
> sidewalk of a busy street when I saw the shot: A young woman sitting on
snip a silver nose ring, and the glow from her smile made me wince.snip
Click.....ahh....$*&%&#!  I was focused at about 32", and she was at
least 10 ft. away.  By the time I realized the focus was off, the magic
was gone.  Did I get the shot?
snip
> Sincerely,
> Paul Klingaman

Say your walking down the street with 400 speed film and a 50 on your M.
After talking a couple of steps you take a reading at an average thing- sidewalk-tree-bench.
F8 at a 60th its overcast which simplifies things. You set the focus at
10 feet so you have 7 to maybe 20 feet in focus. For example.
So as you walk down the street if a squirrel or a spaceman or a naked
girl with a nose ring on a Vespa goes by in that 7 to 20 feet area you
are visualizing as you walk you barely have to raise your camera to your
eye to get the shot!
Point and Shoot! You are zone focusing your Leica M!
Offer also applies to R.
Mark Rabiner
Have your camera already set.
Know what it is set at.
You can quickly readjust it from there.
If it really is too much trouble to do this (no boy scout) go ahead and
get a point and shoot or autofocus. If you don't stay on top of it, you
will always miss shots. With autofocus you can be lazy or tired or blind.
Mark Rabiner