Subject: [Leica] High shutter speeds
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:46:54 -0800

Eric, you wrote:

>>But that's not what the Leica M6 is specifically designed for.
It's designed to be a fast lens camera that can be hand-held. To keep the
shutter speeds up and still get great results.<<

As you say, shutter speed is important. Too often when we emphasize stopping
down for better definition. I know I do.

I don't take a steady hand for granted. I practice all the time. Still, I
overestimate my ability to hand hold. Often, I'll lose more definition by virtue
of a lower shutter speed, than I'll gain via a smaller aperture.

A recent test reminded me of this in no uncertain terms. I evaluated a high
definition developer/film combination. I looked at things very closely. Sure
corners suffer a little at wider apertures, but the whole frame suffers with a
slower shutter speed.

It's a bit of a let down when you see how much difference a tripod makes, even
at speeds that are the inverse of the focal length, the old benchmark for "safe"
shutter speed. (BTW, I think the inverse rule is for 4X enlargement, while it's
inverse of double the length for  an 8X enlargement.) For me a tripod isn't
practical much of the time. And there's no such thing as a "safe" shutter speed.

Thank goodness Leica lenses perform so well at wide apertures. That's why
they're worth the cost. My 90/2 Summicron is very good at f2. My 50/1.4 Summilux
is very good at f1.4. Focus is the greatest challenge with those lenses at those
apertures. Nobody ever said available light photography was easy.

At least 70 percent of my hand held photographs are made at f4 and wider. I
consider f2.8 and f4 extremely important, and I love to have a stop or two more
when needed.

It's a great feeling to make a well composed, interesting and sharp photograph
while pushing the limits of available light.

Dave