Subject: [Leica] Re: Too many lenses
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:21:37 -0800

Hans:

>>for a trip with occasional, unplanned photography, I always bring 2
M:s with 21-35-50 and 90 mm lenses. Then, on the spot, I usually use my
minimalist bag that takes two bodies with only 35 and 50 mm anyway, with the
21 and 90 left at the hotel.<<

That's very similar to my approach. Although I've been favoring my 28/2.8
Elmarit over my 35/2 Summicron. I also recently acquired a 135/4 Tele-elmar, and
that has replaced my 90/2.8. The 135 gives me a little more reach and it's not
that much different than the 90 in size and weight. In the past I hardly used
the 90. I just moved in a bit closer with the 50. So my M kit is basically
21/2.8 ASPH, 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 134/4. I use the 28 and 50 most often.

I held off getting a 135 for years, thinking I'd never use it. But that hasn't
been the case. I've used it quite a bit; both for scenics and outdoor portraits.
I was concerned about the f4 maximum aperture, since I'm leary of slow lenses,
but it's quite good wide open. I use it at f4 a majority of the time, even in
adequate light. Any sharpness I lose by not stopping down is more than made up
for by the faster shutter speed and reduced camera shake. As I said, it's very
good wide open.

I also carry two bodies, but I have a very difficult time switching from the M6
to my M4-P or my M2. I really miss the ttl metering. (Ironically, I didn't miss
it before I owned and M6). I've started to carry my M3 as a second body. Though
it lacks a meter it has superb framelines for the 135 (and 50).

>>Having two systems, M and SLR, is also a cause for some headaches,
especially when doing some planned photography on a trip.<<

You've definately struck a chord here. It's easy for me to decide what M
equipment to take. The real headache comes in determining what, if any, SLR
equipment to carry. First, any SLR lens equals 2, and sometimes 3 M lenses, in
terms of size and weight. If I take an SLR body don't take a second M body. (I
only need one body for color and one for b/w). I end up duplicating focal
lengths. That's when weight starts adding up. Having the 135 M has mitigated my
need for an SLR. But there are still things for which an SLR is better suited --
polorizing filter, long lenses and ttl fill flash (incl. high speed flash synch)
to name a few.

Further, on a sunny day there's shutter burn to consider with M bodies. (I often
catch myself cupping my hand over an SLR lens out of habit). I can handle one M
body, no problem. But with two it becomes a distraction. Shutter burn is hardly
an issue where I live (Pacific Northwest). It's a concern when I travel to sunny
climates :-].

Dave