Subject: Re: [Leica] Question about Schacht 135 F4.5 lens head
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:58:20 -0500

At 11:31 PM 1999-03-27 -0800, John Jbuf wrote:
>I recently acquired a A. Schacht 135 F 4.5  R Travenon ULM in LTM.
>Minimum F 32, it is just a head without a focusing mount or it may be an
>enlarging lens.  I also got a set of 5 New York Leitz Extension tubes in
>LTM.  Could someone tell me exactly what was the intended use of this
>lens.  And will it make a good lens for close-ups.  The last question I
>have is what is the approximate value of this setup.

Heavens.  The set isn't worth much -- the extension tubes can be had for
$10 or so apiece, probably $35 or $40 for the lot, and the Schacht lens
head is another $50.  The lot shouldn't cost more than $100, certainly.

The lens head will probably work on a Viso II, IIa, or III with an LTM-to-M
adapter.  It would be okay for closeups, but was actually intended as a
regular optic.  And it's not half-bad as such, either.

The standard reference on lenses such as this, of course, is Marc James
Small <ah-HEM!>, NON-LEITZ LEICA THREAD-MOUNT LENSES:  A 39mm DIVERSITY,
published by Rita Wittig and available, signed and with addenda and
corrigenda, from the author (me!) for $45 postpaid in the US.  (This book
covers European and American LTM lenses, with scant mention of the rich
turf of Japanese LTM lenses, some of which are well covered elsewhere,
others of which have never been discussed and await analysis.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!