Subject: Re: [Leica] leica different format?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 10:38:23 -0500

At 03:03 PM 1999-03-28 +0800, topher wrote:
>   I just read a small blurb on the internet about leica (in the 30's)
>making lenses for other format cameras, such as folding cameras with 127
>film... this particular model was a Nagel Vollenda or something like that
>but it had an elmar 5cm... were there other cameras that leica made lenses
>for? i hoping that there's an old medium format folder out there with a
>leica lens, but i'm not too hopeful!

Yes, the Nagel/Kodak Vollenda had a Leitz lens.  There are others:  the
4.5/13.5cm Hektor, for instance, seems to have begun as a LF lens, though I
have never heard of one which surfaced in a LF mount.  It has been RUMOURED
that Leitz supplied three-element lenses to Zeiss Ikon for their
bottom-feeders, those lenses which were marked "Novar" and "Dominar" and
"Pantar", Zeiss Ikon and not Zeiss names.  While we have documented such
lenses coming from Voigtlander and Schneider and Steinheil in the '30's, we
have no evidence that Leitz supplied such lenses.  (The Postwar lenses came
from Voigtlander, Steinheil, Rodenstock, and Hensoldt, finally only the
latter two.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!