Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:16:07 +0100

Bruce,

I agree with you that the M can be very fast to boot. If you prefocus and
fix exposure settings beforehand. As a matter of fact, the M has been often
tested as the FASTEST current 35mm system in the world when one measures
delays between depressing the release and the exposure itself.

Nevertheless, it is also possible to prefocus the G2, by setting a given
distance manually or by setting it through AF, and then blocking it there
by keeping the rear lock button depressed. In those circumstances, the lens
remains at its focused position, and the release delay is pretty short. The
battery life as well, I guess.

After that, the G is much faster to reboot, thanks to its motor. And the
AE, locked or not locked, offers a pretty good chance of successful
exposure. A better chance than the M, especially with slides and rush
situations. I want a AE motorised compact M bayonet body.

In changing light and changing distances with the subject, the M is
relatively fast or very slow depending on the situations. The G can be a
better bet in some circumstances, if it focuses as it should.

I have just shot a set of M6+50mm summicron Velvia slides for a snack bar
owner. The scene was his pancake stall, set on a street near the Brussels
flea market, around 11am. The weather was constantly changing (rain,
clouds, sun), there was a lot of movement, a moving, compact, busy crowd. I
had to work most of the time between f2 and f4 with the 50mm at 1/60sec
(portraits of the cook and customers), and failed miserably on focus on a
large proportion of the images. I failed on a few quick shots on exposure
settings as well. Those that are good are, thank God, very good. But the
proportion of keepers would have been far greater with the G2+45mm in those
exact same circumstances.

Regarding 'blind' pre-focusing with the M, it is of course very easy and
reliable with the 21 mm and gradually less so as the angle gets narrower.
The DoF scale on the M lenses is a gorgeously clear design and the 'throw'
of the focusing rings matches well the necessities of hyperfocal settings.
The G is useless in that respect (NO DoF data whatsoever), but with the
wider angles (21/28), the trained user will know what to do. The 16 is
another breed altogether.

From the 50mm up, blind or guess prefocusing, with M or G, is science
fiction, unless you close down to f16 with 3200 ISO film of course ;-)

Alan