Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:59:37 -0600

At 03:06 PM 3/26/99 +0100, you wrote:
>In addition, by all accounts, the G2 was *intended* to
>compete with
>the M.

Not al accounts, and in fact not the ones that count. I had a conversation
with Blake Ziegler, who was very influential in the design and final
execution of this camera - and yes I know he's the U.S. rep for Contax, but
that is the case.

He has specifically stated, and if he says it, it's got to be true, that it
was not meant to compete directly with the M6, but the carve out a niche of
its own. Considering it has possibly caused an increase in M6 sales, I can
see how they would not be too bothered about it, unlike many users. It is a
glorified point and shoot. It's lack of direct manual focus makes it
something I would not consider using, as well as the viewfinder and the
lenses being so slow. But that's for me - where I use my M6 primarily for a
camera that can work in conditions that are not the best for SLRs.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.