Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: try learn to post your message
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:26:32 +0100

Martin,
Threading out of the nntp world is based only on the subject line + date,
not on any other header data identifying the post or on any connex index
file. If any enlightened and imaginative lugger changes the subject line,
the post falls out of the thread. If the same imaginative lugger changes
the first word after the "re:" (like I have just done) you cannot even sort
the posts by subject in order to climb up the conversation. Sometimes these
changes in subject line are justified by a major shift in the thread, often
they are not justified at all (remember the Ansel Adams v. HCB of a few
days ago which entailed at least 3 different subject line incarnations
covering the same discussion?).

Within those narrow limits, Netscape does a nice job, I agree.

Alan