Subject: [Leica] A serious questions:
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:36:20 -0500

Two things:

There's been quite a lot of conversation here and elsewhere about the
capability of the Russar 20/5.6.  I've just posted a couple of images that
I think pretty well capture its strengths and weaknesses.  All shots are
hand held.  I metered exposure with a Luna Pro.

The aperture in the color image is stopped all the way down; the B&W image
is wide open..  I've shot hundreds of frames w/ this lens on IIIf and it
still impresses me.  Mine was manufactured in 1995.

The photo home page is: http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/photomain.htm

Click on "The Netherlands II"

Additionally, I now celebrate about a year's experience with the non-asp
35/1.4 and begin to feel as though I'm getting the hang of the lens.  I've
posted the image that most pleases me under "Friends."  Click on
"Amy."  The monitor simply doesn't do justice to the quality of the
negative, which offers a far wider tonal range than reproduced here.  The
focus plane in the photo runs through the subject's hand and the glass
adjacent to it. I'm shooting wide open.  I'm curious: if I were taking the
same photo with the newer asph. model, what sort of difference could I
expect?

I'm not interested in a flame; I'm genuinely interested to get some sense
of the practical difference between the two version.

Many thanks.

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown