Subject: Re: [Leica] A serious questions:
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:03:51 -0500

Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

> Two things:
>
> There's been quite a lot of conversation here and elsewhere about the
> capability of the Russar 20/5.6.  I've just posted a couple of images that
> I think pretty well capture its strengths and weaknesses.  All shots are
> hand held.  I metered exposure with a Luna Pro.
>
> The aperture in the color image is stopped all the way down; the B&W image
> is wide open..  I've shot hundreds of frames w/ this lens on IIIf and it
> still impresses me.  Mine was manufactured in 1995.

It is quite impressive, considering what I assume was its low cost...just how low
was its cost?...Low enough to justify the lack of speed?..

>  I now celebrate about a year's experience with the non-asp
> 35/1.4 and begin to feel as though I'm getting the hang of the lens.  I'm
> shooting wide open.  I'm curious: if I were taking the
> same photo with the newer asph. model, what sort of difference could I
> expect?

That one is virtually impossible to answer, not having information about any
number of relevant factors. I will say, however, that having made the switch from
the pre-ASPH 35 1.4 to the ASPH version, the ASPH is a really incredible lens.
It's only draw-back is that it is larger and heavier than the earlier
version...but it is as close to flare-proof as you're going to get, and it is
tack sharp opened up all the way. For a low-light shooter, it is an ideal
"standard" lens - IMHO... :-)
B. D.

Really nice images by the way---whether shot with L, Contax or Canon....