Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:00:26 -0800

D Khong wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> >If I was shooting these low light hard to see things you describe I
> >would want a Noct. Or a 35 1.4 but I don't have either or a G2 so I
> >can't speak from experience.
>
> I guessed as much.
>
> >I'm very happy with my Zeiss T* lenes on my 'Blad but on the G2 they are
> >said to be very good but less then great and I'm used to great.
> >Sorry to insult your glass.
> >Mark Rabiner
> >

> Obviously we cannot take you seriously since you do not have any experience
> with the G2.
>
> Dan K.

I sorry about invoking antagonism but I gave you credit for having being
in a rare position of having directly experienced both the G2 and Leica
M systems.
I can only interpolate from ten years professional experience using
autofocus lenes. Twenty using Blads. Thirty useing Nikons. Five using
Leica M's. I don't claim to be a lens tester either and I don't claim to
be an expert in low light shooting. I don't recall you claiming your
glass on your G2 was a match for Leica I recall you being happy about
the autofocus aspect of it.
If you were or now saying that your G2 glass was of Leica quality or
Hasselblad quality I would have to give your direct experience weight
against a propoderance of verbiage to the contrary. I hate to insult you
by putting rumor and stupid magazine articles against your hands on
experience. I hate it when people do that to me. I do recall Erwin
coming out with Leica glass more than edging out Contax but maybe I
should read that again.
I also think that when you are on a Brand A list and you start saying
Brand B is better you should expect a little fallout.
I get a little edgy when people insult my glass too. But I apologized
which makes everything wonderful doesn't it?
Mark Rabiner