Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica IN YOUR DREAMS
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:20:13 -0800

Vondauster@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> OK. As someone who owns and shoots both systems, I'll throw in my two cents
> worth on this issue. I find, after considerable use, the optics are roughly
> equal in quality. In my opinion, the 21s are equal, the 28 Biogon is superior,
> the 35 Summicron ASPH superior, the 45 and 50 very close, and the 90s very
> close. Having said that, Leica has a number of considerably faster lenses that
> the G system simply cannot match.
>
> The G autofocus and metering systems are excellent when used within their
> design limitations. The G system is an excellent value versus the M system.
> Its durability is unlikely to match the M system.
>
> This might be a good place to invoke Walt's maxim on lens quality arguments -
> in use the lenses from these two systems are sufficiently above that of most
> others in quality that quibbling about them borders on the neurotic.
>
> Will von Dauster

Thank You Mr. von Dauster!
I'm always glad to have things simplified to an idiot level of
durability and lens speed. I can't wait to trade in my durable and
speedy but otherwise equal Leica M system for four or five Contax G
systems. As durability is only half the issue I won't mind if a few of
my bodies are in the shop. I'd still be cleaning up.
And so what if the G system doesn't have fast lenes when it focuses and
flashes in total darkness if those are the design limitations you have
in mind.
Because the G systems optics might outclass Pentex or Mamiya doesn't
make it logical to say it holds a candle to Leica's or even the Zeiss
lenses made for Hasselblad or Rollei.
That's like saying bananas are one of your favorite fruits so why
discuss fried chicken?
Or flying is the safest way to fly.
Your personal results of the G to M lenes don't quite match Erwin's by a
long shot.
Your test results are slightly shaded by the fact that you have to
justify the expense of buying the idiot things in the first place. "The
21s are equal, the 28 Biogon is superior" Excuuuuuuse me sir, IN YOUR DREAMS
The neurotic quibbler himself or one of them,
Mark Rabiner