Subject: Re: [Leica] answers??
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:26:38 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

> Allan;
> A tip I learned from an old pro was a threshold method of metering in
> difficult situations. If you are shooting to get the shadow details, meter
> the shadowv area ( a spot meter does help here, but I've done it with a
> Weston Master V!), where you want some shadow to show up, then close down
> two stops from that reading.
> If pershance you are metering for highlight detail, meter the desired
> highlight detail area, and OPEN up three stops.
> It works the majority of the time, especially with portraits, and
> landscapes, and usually if you have time to meter a scene carefully, you can
> always bracket a stop.
> Dan
snip
This is exactly what I do Dan. Exactly.
But I put the Zone system terminology onto it in my own head. It comes
out the same.
In a Zone system terminology for those interested you've placed your
textured shadow in the textured shadow zone: zone three.(Two under five)
And you've place your Textured highlight in the textured highlight zone:
zone eight. (Three over five) Your needle always gives you five.
What happens when after placing your textured shadow in zone three but
you find your textured highlight only falling in seven? N+1 Extra
development to move your upper zones up one.
This turns a low contrast situation into a negative that can be more
easily printed at normal contrasts and will result in a print with more *&^%$#.
A little better that printing a thin neg with extra snappy paper or filter.
No more zone stuff from me. I don't know if there is any interest or if
this is the place.
It is seen as being technobabble but it sure helps me.
And the meaning of life exists between two zones but I forget which two.
Mark Rabiner