Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder + Super-wide lens
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:01:10 +0800

Mark,

I have the Hologon for my G2.  While I must admit it is excellent
optically, there are quite a few major drawbacks: a maximum aperture of
f/8.0, significant vignetting, and when the supplied ND filter is
attached (to 'correct' the vignetting), the Hologon becomes a f/16
lens.  And from what I understand, the conversion to Leica M mount is
not exactly cheap: the lens plus conversion will set you back $2,500 to
$3,000.

Perhaps a more interesting and realistic option is the Voigtlander Super
Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5 ASPH.  For approx. $650 you cannot expect Hologon
performance, but there is minimal vignetting, and f/4.5 is a lot more
acceptable.  Above all, it is affordable.  It comes in Leica screw mount
(so you can use it on your LTM bodeis, too), and with a LTM-M adaptor,
you use it on any M cameras.  Try it, you will be surprised how good it
is.

Joseph